lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: How many documents in the biggest Lucene index to date?
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:32:01 GMT
Bill Taylor wrote:
> I have used Lucene to index a small collection - only a few hundred
> documents.  I have a potential client who wants to index a collection
> which will start at about a million documents and could easily grow to
> two million.
>
> Has anyone used Lucene with an index that large?

I'm working on a regular basis with indexes containing several million
documents. Somewhere around 10 mln documents, depending on the hardware
and the type of queries, you will need to consider splitting the index
into parts distributed over several machines - but below that size you
should be able to get sub-second responses to typical queries.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><