lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Technology Preview of new Lucene QueryParser
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:47:53 GMT

: I wasn't clear on this answer. The problem was not grammar ambiguity but
: from a user standpoint...I wanted to differentiate the proximity binary
: operator from the phrase distance operator...even though they are
: similar. Perhaps the differentiation is more confusing then helpful.

it's not confusing if your target audience isn't confused. .. i asked only
as someone who understands LUcene fairly well, and recognised that under
the covers they were (probably) both producing PhraseQueries ... i was
mainly just curious as to your motivation, which makes sense now

(it's mainly just one more special character people have to worry about
escaping)

-Hoss