lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Technology Preview of new Lucene QueryParser
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:56:47 GMT

: I will certainly start experimenting with this. For clarification
: though, you are telling me that the Lucene syntax query: 'Mark AND pig
: AND man' is different than the query: '(Mark AND pig) AND man', correct?

Ummm... because you are making all of the clauses required, the parens
*may* not affect the final scores .. i can't remember off the top of my
head (it depends on how the queryNorm is calculated)

i know for a fact that you will see lots of score differences however
between the queries   'Mark OR pig OR man'  and  '(Mark OR pig) OR man'
for documents which only contain one or two of those terms -- that's
because of the coordFactor.

-Hoss