lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Making document numbers persistent
Date Sun, 14 Jan 2007 06:14:08 GMT

: 4> It's playing with fire, but.... you say "in essence, we want persistent
: Lucene document numbers". I believe they *are* persistent until and unless
: you optimize *after* deleting documents. So you control when they change
: (you'll get more information by searching the mail archive, but what to
: search for escapes my poor memory). So it *may* be possible to, say,
: optimize your index (and record the user-id/luceneid pairs) at discrete
: points in time and/or synchronize this correspondence when convenient.
: Perhaps in another index or orthogonal documents.

it's not just optimizing ... note the FAQ ...

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LuceneFAQ#head-e1de2630fe33fb6eb6733747a5bf870f600e1b4c

When is it possible for document IDs to change?

Documents are only re-numbered after there have been deletions. Once there
have been deletions, renumbering may be triggered by any document addition
or index optimization. Once an index is optimized, no renumbering will be
performed until more deletions are made.

-Hoss