lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Damien McCarthy" <damien.mccar...@propylon.com>
Subject RE: about merge factor
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:41:33 GMT
Hi Maureen,

If you are attempting to tune the indexing have a read of
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/03/05/lucene.html?page=2 . Otis has
some excellent comparisons and explanations of the different optimization
strategies available.

D.

-----Original Message-----
From: maureen tanuwidjaja [mailto:autumn_musique@yahoo.com]
Sent: 11 February 2007 15:44
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: about merge factor

Hi all,

  I just wondering wheter is it sensible and possible if I have 660,000
documents to be indexed,I set the merge factor to 660,000 instead of  the
default value 10 (...and this means no merge while indexing) and  later
after closing the index,I use the IndexWriter to optimize/merge  the whole
index file...

  Thanks and Regards,
  Maureen