lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From karl wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FieldCacheImpl mistake?
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:57:47 GMT

14 feb 2007 kl. 20.49 skrev Mark Miller:

> There is some code in contrib with comments claiming this interning
> is actually slower. I think it was the MemoryIndex? Has this ever
> been discussed?

There is of course a cost of RAM and CPU involved with flyweighting
instances. In order to win the CPU costs back you need to do compare
an instance to something else more than once. Thats pretty much it, I
think. There might also be some weak/soft/whatnot reference costs
involving values passed to String.intern, but I'm not sure.

--
karl