lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "sandeep chawla" <sand.cha...@gmail.com>
Subject Synonym Search and stemming
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:57:53 GMT
Hi,

I want to implement synonym search in my application.

I think there are two ways to implement synonym search.
Index the documents using a synonym analyzer
OR
Expand the query using a parser which uses a synonym analyzer.

Well  I am expanding query as indexing with synonym analyzer takes
much time and more space too.

Also I am using PorterStemmer in indexing.

Now suppose i want to search for word "simple"

There are two ways now..
1----

First i stem this word to "simp" so that i can match all the variants
of "simple" in my index like simply etc.

then i expend this query using synonym analyzer but it doesnt get
expand as i m using the stemmed word for synonyms..ie. "simpl".

so when query.toString

It is field:simpl

I just get all the documents which have only "simple"

2----

First expand the query using synonym analyzer
then i stem it.

In this case

Query.toString = field:"simpl elementari uncompl childlik unproblemat
unsubdivid"

I would like it to  be

field:simple field:elementari field:uncompl field:childlik and so on

i'd appreciate any help in this regard

Thanks
Sandeep
--