lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Timo Nentwig <luc...@nitwit.de>
Subject Re: CachingWrapperFilter: why cache per IndexReader?
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:32:54 GMT
On Tuesday 01 January 2008 21:06:06 Mark Miller wrote:
> The main reason to use a single IndexReader is because its very time
> consuming to open an IndexReader. If your index is pretty static, maybe

Yes, it takes quite some time to build it and it's not changed but rebuilt
from scratch.

> Perhaps, in some esoteric case, multiple readers is the right idea

I recently talked to a guy how stated that they'd solved their performance
issues by breaking up the index into multiple sub-indices and searching them
in parallel (probably using ParallelMultiSearcher)...hmm, well, I've had (and
still have) my doubts but on the other hand what's the benefit of
ParallelMultiSearcher if it doesn't scale better than searching a monolithic