lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dai, Chunhe" <Chunhe....@fatwire.com>
Subject Suggested number of fields limit per Index
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:45:05 GMT
I have been searching online could not find an exact answer; and
wondering if anyone here knows whether there is a preferred max number
of fields limit in lucene index?

We are in the process of deciding how our index would look like in our
lucene integration. For one of our approach, we could have a large
number of fields in the index - say maybe several hundred. But, each
Document in the index do not contain every of those fields and would
only have a few fields within those hundreds of fields (Probably in
tens). Does anyone ever have experience with set up like this? I am
wondering whether there is a potential performance issue with indexing
and searching.

Thanks.
Chunhe