lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reading field parameters from XML
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2008 13:01:23 GMT
Do you have any evidence at all that this is worth the effort? I assume
that you're worried about efficiency. In my experience, this is *very*
often a mis-placed concern. And "efficient" code that saves, say,
even 1% of my run time is *not* worth the hours/days/weeks spent
creating and *maintaining* clever code......

Do the simple thing. Then if your application is unacceptably slow,
put a profiler on it and fix what's *really* slow. I can't tell you how
often
I've been sure that I knew where the bottleneck is only to find that
my problem is somewhere completely different.

Best
Erick