lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Bucketing (was Re: Wikia search goes live today)
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:30:18 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Sounds useful.  I suppose this means one would have custom function
> for within-bucket-reordering? e.g. for a web search you might reorder
> based on the URL length if you think shorter URLs are an indicator of

Yes, that's precisely the idea. It combines the advantages of simple
(hence fast) scoring inside the IR system, with a complex (hence slow)
reordering of a small sample of results, performed outside the IR system
prior to delivering the results.

> higher quality.  It also sounds like something that can easily sit
> outside Lucene....or do you have something else in mind, such as a
> mechanism to pass a reordering function in Lucene?

It should definitely be something outside Lucene - it's meant for cases
that require more complex ranking (or faster) than those available
through function query. I only mentioned this here because it is simple
to implement, yet produces useful results difficult to obtain through
the usual means (similarity, boosting, even function query).

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><