lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Seneviratne_Yas...@emc.com
Subject RE: Prioiritze new documents
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2008 19:33:02 GMT
IMHO it would be nice if Lucene's Similarity formula took the
indexed-date of the document into account.  Ideally as an optional
setting, where the user can provide a date field as well.

Some of the other search engines do - for example Fast's Instream.  It
makes sense that as documents age over time, they are less important
than the new ones.

Is JIRA the mechanism where you can add "feature requests" for Lucene?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominik Bruhn [mailto:dominik@dbruhn.de]
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2007 4:38 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Prioiritze new documents

Hy,
a solution came into my mind:
Every document gets boosted by a integer which I increment each time I
add a new document to the index. So the newer documents should get a
bigger boost than the older ones.

I tried it out and ran into a problem:
Although I set the Boost via doc.setBoost(value) for each document
before writing it to the index it doesnt change anything. Even worse if
I look at the index using Luke (Version 0.7.1) each document got a boost
of 1 not of the value supplied.

Who can help me?

Thanks
--