lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wikia search goes live today
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 12:47:08 GMT

On Jan 8, 2008, at 2:55 AM, Lukas Vlcek wrote:

> BTW:
> 1) If they have made any improvements/changes to Nutch (or Lucene/
> Hadoop)
> code and they keep it closed then how they can claim they are using
> open
> sourced algorithms?

They are "using" it, they just aren't sharing it.  Many companies out
there do that, they use Lucene but you would never know it unless you
dug in deep.  It's probably one of the big diffs between the Apache
license and some of the "other" licenses.  But, having read more about
it, I don't think Wikia is keeping it closed, but that doesn't mean
they are contributing back to us, either.  They certainly could host
the repository themselves and make it available.  Some people host
Lucene improvements elsewhere b/c they want different licenses.  As
long as they include the ASF license and give proper credit to it, I
believe they are fine.

> 2) Wouldn't it be too expensive for them to keep their changes
> closed going
> forward? How about if Nutch changes significantly in the future.

I would think so, but there are no rules against doing stupid things,
right?

-Grant