lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: WhitespaceTokenizer, incrementToke() ArrayOutOfBoundException
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 00:02:19 GMT
Yes, reset was always "mandatory" from an API contract sense, but not always
enforced in a practical sense in 3.x (no uniformly extreme negative
consequences), as the original emailer indicated. Now, it is "mandatory" in
a practical sense as well (extremely annoying consequences in all cases of a
contract violation). So, I should have said that the contract was mandatory
but not enforced... which from a practical perspective negates its mandatory
contractual value.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Uwe Schindler
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 11:53 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: WhitespaceTokenizer, incrementToke() ArrayOutOfBoundException

Hi,

It was always mandatory! In Lucene 2.x/3.x some Tokenizers just returned
bogus, undefined stuff if not correctly reset before usage, especially when
Tokenizers are "reused" by the Analyzer, which is now mandatory in 4.x. So
we made it throw some Exception (NPE or AIOOBE) in Lucene 4 by initializing
the state fields in Lucene 4.0 with some default values that cause the
Exception. The Exception is not more specified because of performance
reasons (it's just caused by the new default values set in ctor previously).

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de