lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Liz Sommers <lizswo...@gmail.com>
Subject Is there a maximum size for a reader?
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 16:14:41 GMT
Lucene 4.2.1

I am moving my application from 3.6 to 4.2.1.  At the moment I have a
reader for each of my shards (100 shards each about 5 million records).  I
am considering using a MultiReader for all the shards.  The application
gets about 2 million new records a week.  Right now I don't have a full
index to test on.

My question is - approximately how many records can a Reader handle?  Does
anybody know about memory constraints or size constraints?  Do to space
constraints I can't build a full index for testing until I have something
that I can nearly guarantee will work.

Thanks
Liz