lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From srividhyau <srividhya.umashan...@hp.com>
Subject Performance of NULL check *:* -category:[* TO *]
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 18:05:18 GMT
All -

We have a necessity to check for attributes with null values.
There are 2 options that we narrowed down to

1. Either we index null values with 'NULL' string and then check against the
string.
   This has a drawback as Lucene does not have the capability of setting any
default value. and each document may have a different set of fields to

2. The other approach is to check the negative query as follows, which does
fetch me all the documents that has category with null
    *:* -_category:[* TO *]

Question:
1. Is there any impact in the query peformance (execution time) if you do
the above query because we fetch all documents and then negate. Has anybody
tried checking the Query performance
2. Assume we are talking of 10 million documents in the index.

-Vidhya