lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: classic.QueryParser - bug or new behavior?
Date Sun, 19 May 2013 19:09:01 GMT
Just a thought - this looks like it could be due to the regexp (/pattern/ syntax) support added,
but that was added in Lucene 4.0 so it doesn't quite fit that it would be a difference between
4.1 and 4.2.1.

	Erik

On May 19, 2013, at 14:50 , Scott Smith wrote:

> I just upgraded from lucene 4.1 to 4.2.1.  We believe we are seeing some different behavior.
>
> I'm using org.apache.lucene.queryparser.classic.QueryParser.  If I pass the string "20110920/EXPIRED"
(w/o quotes) to the parser, I get:

> org.apache.lucene.queryparser.classic.ParseException: Cannot parse '20110920/EXPIRED':
Lexical error at line 1, column 17.  Encountered: <EOF> after : "/EXPIRED"
>       at org.apache.lucene.queryparser.classic.QueryParserBase.parse(QueryParserBase.java:131)
>
> We believe this used to work.
>
> I tried googling for this and found something that said I should use QueryParser.escape()
on the string before passing it to the parser.  However, that seems to break phrase queries
(e.g., "John Smith" - with the quotes; I assume it's escaping the double-quotes and doesn't
realize it's a phrase).

> Since it is a forward slash, I'm confused why it would need escaping of any of the characters
in the string with the "/EXPIRED".