lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ankit Murarka <ankit.mura...@rancoretech.com>
Subject Re: Compare the input string with stored string and Take decision.
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2013 07:59:06 GMT
Say, suppose I send a Message X. The contents of the message X is
stored. Now, for each incoming message I will compare the contents with
the message X. If the content is equal I will increment the counter and
when it reaches say 100, I will not allow more processing of messages.

For each message, I will compare it with X. If the content is different,
then it would be stored as Y. Hence the next incoming message will be
compared with both X and Y and accordingly the counters will be incremented.

Now, I think to parse each message say about 500 bytes containing all
the possible characters I might have to use Lucene. Please guide if it
will be helpful. Because the entire comparison mechanism is expected to
be completed in milliseconds.

On 7/11/2013 11:59 AM, Ivan Krišto wrote:
> On 07/11/2013 08:04 AM, Ankit Murarka wrote:
>
>> a. I have a string of 190 characters.
>> b. I need to store this string or the content of the string.
>> c. For every request, I will compare the string with this stored string.
>> d. If match, found I will increment the counter and once counter
>> reaches 100 I need to block all request.
>>
>> I want to know will this searching the provided string with the input
>> string can be achieved by Lucene. If yes, can anyone provide me some
>> input on how to go ahead with this. I mean the type of analyzer to use
>> etc.
>>
> I'm not sure if I have understood you well.
>
> How do you compare string you got from request and stored string? Do you
> do "storedString.equals(requestString)"?
> If comparison is simple, than you don't need Lucene even if you have
> thousands of stored strings. Just do it from scratch (simple hashtable
> will do just fine).
>
> Use lucene only if: comparison method is complicated (searching over
> tokens which involves tokenization and normalization) and you have lots
> of strings (documents).
> Otherwise, it's an overkill.
>

>    Regards,
>      Ivan Krišto

Regards

Ankit Murarka

"Peace is found not in what surrounds us, but in what we hold within."