lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mirko Sertic <mirko.ser...@web.de>
Subject Re: Strange performance of Lucene 4.4.0
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 17:33:15 GMT
Ok, using Sort.INDEXORDER for default sorting is blazing fast. Just for
my understanding, what is the difference between both methods? Is just
unneccesary score computation the problem of the CPU peak?

Thanks in advance
Mirko

Am 09.09.2013 13:43, schrieb Michael McCandless:
> Sort.INDEXORDER, or, just make your own Collector, which should be
> faster than INDEXORDER.
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Mirko Sertic <mirko.sertic@web.de> wrote:
>> Dear Mike
>>
>> I need an API to disable Scoring without any sorting.
>>
>> Unfortunately every method in IndexSearcher where i can say doDocScores also require
a not-null Sort instance. So what would be the best way to disable scoring and have no sorting,
and archiving the same performance as the "Empty Sort()" bug? I should probably use Sort.INDEXORDER
for sorting, right? It gives me the same result...

>> Thanks in advance
>> Mirko
>>

>> Gesendet: Montag, 09. September 2013 um 13:03 Uhr
>> Von: "Michael McCandless" <lucene@mikemccandless.com>
>> An: "Lucene Users" <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
>> Betreff: Re: Re: Re: Strange performance of Lucene 4.4.0
>> If new Sort() fails to sort by score, that's a bug! Can you please
>> open a Jira issue?
>>
>> Mike McCandless
>>
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 5:21 AM, Mirko Sertic <mirko.sertic@web.de> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Basically i am running a load test. For every run i executed about 1 million
queries on the same index with the same query string, so it should be warmed up very well
;-) It performs about 8x faster with an empty Sort() instance than the first option. Still
do not get it. An empty Sort instance should sort by score, according to the default constructor.

>>> Providing no sort instance finally invokes
>>>
>>> protected TopDocs search(Weight weight, ScoreDoc after, int nDocs) throws IOException
>>>
>>> while providing a Sort instance finally invokes
>>>
>>> protected TopFieldDocs search(Weight weight, FieldDoc after, int nDocs,
>>> Sort sort, boolean fillFields,
>>> boolean doDocScores, boolean doMaxScore) throws IOException
>>>
>>> with doDocScores and doMaxScore set to false.
>>>
>>> Seems like providing an empty Sort() instances should sort by score according
to its default constructor. But no scoring is done by the IndexSearcher, so there is nothing
so sort at all. So from this point of view the scoring computation does cause the slower queries.