lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Re: Re: Strange performance of Lucene 4.4.0
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 11:03:19 GMT
If new Sort() fails to sort by score, that's a bug!  Can you please
open a Jira issue?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 5:21 AM, Mirko Sertic <mirko.sertic@web.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Basically i am running a load test. For every run i executed about 1 million queries
on the same index with the same query string, so it should be warmed up very well ;-) It performs
about 8x faster with an empty Sort() instance than the first option. Still do not get it.
An empty Sort instance should sort by score, according to the default constructor.

> Providing no sort instance finally invokes
>
> protected TopDocs search(Weight weight, ScoreDoc after, int nDocs) throws IOException
>
> while providing a Sort instance finally invokes
>
> protected TopFieldDocs search(Weight weight, FieldDoc after, int nDocs,
>                                 Sort sort, boolean fillFields,
>                                 boolean doDocScores, boolean doMaxScore) throws IOException
>
> with doDocScores and doMaxScore set to false.
>
> Seems like providing an empty Sort() instances should sort by score according to its
default constructor. But no scoring is done by the IndexSearcher, so there is nothing so sort
at all. So from this point of view the scoring computation does cause the slower queries.