lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Search and Disk I/O
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2013 17:53:21 GMT
The situation is pretty much the same as before, just different file names :)

Lucene pre-loads certain "hot" structures into RAM: the terms index
(.tip files), deleted documents (.del files), norms, etc.

For all other files, it relies on the OS to cache any hot pages in its
buffer/IO cache, and it typically reads sequentially so OS readahead
should work well.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com