lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sandeep Khanzode <sandeep_khanz...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Sort, Search & Facets
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2014 06:50:05 GMT
Hi,

I am using Lucene 4.7.2 and my primary use case for Lucene is to do three things: (a) search,
(b) sort by a number of fields for the search results, and (c) facet on probably an equal
number of fields (probably the most standard use cases anyway).

Let us say, I have a corpus of more than a 100m docs with each document having approx. 10-15
fields excluding the content (body) which will also be one of the fields. Out of 10-15, I
have a requirement to have sorting enabled on all 10-15 and the facets as well. That makes
a total of approx. ~45 fields to be indexed for various reasons, once for String/Long/TextField,
once for SortedDocValuesField, and once for FacetField each.

What will be the impact of this on the indexing operation w.r.t. the time taken as well as
the extra disk space required? Will it grow linearly with the increase in the number of fields?

What is the impact on the memory usage during search time?

I will attempt to benchmark some of these, but if you have any experience with this, request
you to share the details. Thanks,

Thanks n Regards,
Sandeep Ramesh Khanzode