lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Query rewriting - caching rewritten quries
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:10:09 GMT
: In the system which I develop I have to store many query objects in memory.
: The system also receives documents. For each document MemoryIndex is
: instantiated. I execute all stored queries on this MemoryIndex. I realized
: that searching over MemoryIndex takes much time for query rewriting. I'm
: wondering if I can cache rewritten queries to avoid still rewritting. Is
: there any way to do it?

it depends on what you want to do with the cached queries.

the rewritten queries are relative to the IndexReader passed to the
rewrite() method -- you can't re-use them against a new/different
IndexReader (not even if it's a reopened reader against the same index)

from a memory standpoint, rewritten queries also tend to be larger then
the original query (due to term expansion) so even if you plan on using
these cached queries over and over against hte same IndexReader
(allthough: there's not much point of that -- you might as wel ust cache
the results instead) you're trading the time needed for rewrite() against
the the memory needed for the cache.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/