lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Different Scores For Same Query on Identical Index
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2014 18:24:18 GMT

: I created an index with three documents, ran a query, and noted the scores.
: Then I deleted one of the documents using IndexWriter.tryDeleteDocument, and
: then re-added the exact same document. (I saved the Document in an instance
: variable, so I couldn't have accidentally changed any of the fields.) After
: rerunning the query, I am getting back the same documents, but with
: different scores. Anyone know what's happening? I can post my code if anyone
: is interested. Thanks!

Deleted docments still affect term stats like IDF until the are expunged.
If you look at the Explanation from the Query for each of your matchings
docs, you'll see the differneces in the stats and how they affect the
scores.

FYI, realted info (relevant to the ideas of "comparing" scores across
indexes of queries)...
https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ScoresAsPercentages

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/