lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "david.w.smiley@gmail.com" <david.w.smi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Spatial Question: Is a tree structure explicitly created in the QuadPrefixTree implementation?
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2014 17:19:34 GMT
Hi Parth,

Lucene’s “terms dictionary” (an inverted index) is the physical
instantiation of the actual PrefixTree/Trie for numeric and spatial data.
It doesn’t know it is — it’s just a sorted list of keys pointing to
matching documents — it just so happens that the keys aren’t textual words
in this case, they are encoded prefixes.  SpatialPrefixTree (base class of
QuadPrefixTree and some others) encodes points and other spatial regions
into one or more prefixes that get indexed during indexing, and which that
are looked up during search.  The “Cell” class (aka a node) are indeed used
during spatial processing in an iterator-like way.  The index & search time
processing iterates the prefixes.  It’s not typically fully materialized
into a tree structure of Cells.

Thanks for the MX-Quad tree pointer; the “MX” notion is new to me.  It
appears that any prefix-tree/trie is also in effect an MX-tree as well,
making Prefix-Tree/Tries a particular case of MX trees.

~ David Smiley
Freelance Apache Lucene/Solr Search Consultant/Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley