lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shahak Nagiel <snag...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Lucene spatial for grid clusters
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2014 03:52:10 GMT
I need a way to perform a spatial aggregation query against a potentially large document store
in order to display summary clusters on a map.  The query would slice the current map extents
(e.g. -180,-90,180,90) into a number of X and Y bins (e.g. 20 x 16) and, for each, seek a
summary count, so that a heat map or series of clusters could be rendered for the grids.

Given Lucene's native usage of prefix trees/geohashes, this seems to be a good fit.  As a
user pans and zooms the map, new map extents would apply, so this would need to support dynamic
grids.  However, snapping results/bins to existing geohashes (of the appropriate depth/level)
would be fine, assuming that lines up with how the indexes are structured.

Naively, I could just issue a series of spatial queries, one for each grid, and get the count.
 But I wonder if there's a better way...

Has anyone encountered this use case?  Any suggestions on the best/most efficient way to achieve?

Thanks!