lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Brian Call <brian.c...@soterawireless.com>
Subject Re: Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Map failed
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2014 00:22:11 GMT
Yep, you guys are correct, I’m supporting a slightly older version of our product based on
Lucene 3. In my previous email I forgot to mention that I also bumped up the maximum allowable
file handles per process to 16k, which had been working well. Here’s the ulimit -a output
from our server:

core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 63611
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
open files                      (-n) 16000
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 63611

Are there any other possible resource limitations for the MMapDirectory that I might have
missed?

Thanks again for you help!

On Nov 7, 2014, at 2:24 PM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> That error can also be thrown when the number of open files exceeds the
>> given limit. "OutOfMemory" should really have been named
>> "OutOfResources".
>
> This was changed already. Lucene no longer prints OOM (it removes the OOM from stack
trace). It also adds useful information. So I think the version of Lucene that produced this
exception is older (before 4.9): https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-5673