lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Sokolov <msoko...@safaribooksonline.com>
Subject including self-joins in parent/child queries
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2014 15:38:12 GMT
I see in the docs of ToParentBlockJoinQuery that:

  * The child documents must be orthogonal to the parent
  * documents: the wrapped child query must never
  * return a parent document.

First, it would be helpful if the docs explained what would happen if
that assumption were violated.

Second, I want to do that!

My parent documents have the same fields as their child documents
(title, text, etc): in some cases the best match for a query is the
entire book, (ie a query for "Java Programming"), in other cases it is a
specific chapter (a query for "Java regular expressions").

Currently I am using Solr grouping queries to roll up parent and child,
but I am hoping to get a performance boost by using the parent/child
indexing which is a natural for us since we always index a book at a time.

If need be, I will simply index a child document that represents the
parent (ie duplicate the parent document but with a different type so as
to exclude it from the join subquery), but is this really necessary? If
so, can you explain why?

Thanks

-Mike