lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: How best to compare tow sentences
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2014 01:25:17 GMT

: For a number of years I've been doing this for some time by creating a
: RAMDirectory, creating a document for one of the sentence and then doing  a
: search using the other sentence and seeing if we get a good match. This has
: worked reasonably well but since improving the performance of other parts of
: the application this part has become a performance bottleneck, not that
: suprising as Im creating all these objects just for a one off search, and I
: have to do this for many sentence pairs.

i'm not an academic, and i don't want to undermine the very goal specific
advice given by other folks in this thread - but i do wnat ot point out
that if you are doing *lots* of comparisons like this, then building a
RAMDirectory for each and every "known" song title to comare with each and
every "new" song title is already a super inefficient use of lucene.

if instead you built  and *kept* a lucene index containing all known song
titles (one per doc) and then queried it for each "new" song title that
came in you'd probably find yourself with a much more efficient solution
w/o needing to spend a lot of time investigating new algorithms.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/