lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ralf Heyde <ralf.he...@gmx.de>
Subject AW: Lucene Boolean Query Minimization
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2015 15:27:46 GMT
Just an idea: could it be optimized by boolean Algebra?

Gruss, Ralf

Gesendet vom Mobiltelefon
‎
  Originalnachricht
Von: Uwe Schindler
Gesendet: Montag, 2. Februar 2015 16:25
An: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Antwort an: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Betreff: RE: Lucene Boolean Query Minimization

Hi,

You don't give an example of the type of Boolean query you want to "minimize". I have no idea
"how" it could be optimized without that information. If a Boolean query contains only one
clause, it is rewritten automatically to be the query of its single clause (with boosts multiplied).
But if you have many Boolean clauses, how could those be optimized? If you have multiple term
queries as clauses with identical terms, one could optimize that by merging those clauses
and add their boosts, but this is not done automatically.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen