lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <ben...@basistech.com>
Subject Re: A codec moment or pickle
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:33:46 GMT
Based on reading the same comments you read, I'm pretty doubtful that
Codec.getDefault() is going to work. It seems to me that this
situation renders the FilterCodec a bit hard to to use, at least given
the 'every release deprecates a codec' sort of pattern.

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How about Codec.getDefault()? It does indeed not necessarily return the newest one (if
somebody changes the default using Codec.setDefault()), but for your use case "wrapping the
current default one", it should be fine?

> I have not tried this yet, but there might be a chicken-egg problem:
> - Your codec will have a separate name and be listed in META-INF as service (I assume
this). So it gets discovered by the Codec discovery process and is instantiated by that.
> - On loading the Codec framework the call to codec.getDefault() might get in at a time
where the codecs are not yet fully initialized (because it will instantiate your codec while
so the default codec might be null...