lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Rainer <Rainer.Si...@ait.ac.at>
Subject AW: Lucene Spatial: sort by best fit
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2015 06:05:32 GMT
Hi David,

excellent - thanks for this. I'll give it a try today.

<I’ve seen your code that uses Lucene spatial on GitHub [...] Perhaps you don’t have
notifications set up to alert you?>

Great! I hope reading my code wasn't too much of a painful experience :-) Ah... I do have
notifications set up, but they go to another E-Mail account which *sometimes* gets a little
neglected. Fixed that thing too, thanks!

Cheers,
Rainer

Von: david.w.smiley@gmail.com [david.w.smiley@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 01. April 2015 21:51
An: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Lucene Spatial: sort by best fit

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Simon Rainer <Rainer.Simon@ait.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> ouch - no, missed that. I'm indexing points and polygons with the
> RecursivePrefixTreeStrategy right now, so simply didn't look properly at
> the BBoxStrategy. (I need to use exact polygons, so that I can make use of
> the ultra-cool 2D facet heatmap feature :-)

:-)

> So the best way, I guess, would be to index an additional field, using
> BBoxStrategy, that holds just the bounding box?

Absolutely.  A key point of the fact that there are multiple
SpatialStrategy classes is that there are multiple ways to index “spatial
data” with different use-cases.  So by all means, use as many of them that
you need.    For example, perhaps you might also use PointVectorStrategy
for distance-sorting to a center-point.  (BBoxStrategy can do that too…
albeit with a bit more work since it must calculate the center-point from
twice as many values 2 -> 4).

p.s. I’ve seen your code that uses Lucene spatial on GitHub (our friend
Bruce pointed me at it) and commented on a commit but I haven’t seen a
response from you.  Perhaps you don’t have notifications set up to alert
you?
https://github.com/pelagios/pelagios-api-v3/commit/f958fe5d8542cf55ddf6382940c5fe3ffa1a9fa6

~ David