lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Gili Nachum <gilinac...@gmail.com>
Subject Optimal FS block size for "small" documents?
Date Tue, 26 May 2015 06:10:45 GMT
Hi, What FS block size to use?

I have an RAID-5 of SSD drives currently configured with a 128KB block
size.
Can I expect better indexing/query time performance with a smaller block
size (say 8K)?
Considering my documents are almost always smaller than 8K.
I assume all stored fields would fit into one block which is good, but what
will Lucene prefer for reading a long posting list and other data
structures.

Any rules of thumb or anyone that had experiemnted on this?

Using Lucene 4.7.2 (wrapped by Solr 4.7.2)