lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Modassar Ather <modather1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: new to Lucene
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2015 10:28:44 GMT
Please see my comments in-line.

1. For the indexing of these chapters, how many fields that need to be
declared? Can I just declare only one field for the contents?

This depends on what you need to search with. E.g if only plain content
(chapters) are to be searched then one indexed field is required.
Also if you want to update the index then an id field is required per
Lucene document.
There might be a requirement where search on chapter title can be provided
for which a title field can be added.

2. Is the "Index" saved as a file or loaded into the memory?
I think it depends on the type of Lucene Direcotry used. E.g. RAMDirectory
is a in memory implementation whereas FsDirectory stores index on file
system.

2. Can we use multiple terms for the user query such as  "Information
Technology in Education" or we only allowed to use single term.
Lucene has support of single term search and phrase search too.
"Information Technology in Education" as in your question can be searched
as phrase query.

Regards,
Modassar