lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Alessandro Benedetti <abenede...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene auto suggest
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2015 10:42:34 GMT
Let me answer in line :

On 23 November 2015 at 17:20, Bhaskar <bhaskar1484@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have one column in the data base and it is having below data( it can have
> 5000 to 30000 rows)
>
> Fenway Antenna Dipole Top CH00 with Coaxial Cable Length 140mm
> Fenway Antenna Dipole Side CH01 with Coaxial Cable Length 220mm
> Fenway Antenna Slot Front CH02 with Coaxial Cable Length 220mm
> LIMELIGHT ANTENNA-D CABLE
>

> I think I want fuzzy suggestions only... for example...
> when user types *Fenway  *then the words starting with *Fenway *should
> come.. i.e.
>
> Fenway Antenna Dipole Top CH00 with Coaxial Cable Length 140mm
> Fenway Antenna Dipole Side CH01 with Coaxial Cable Length 220mm
> Fenway Antenna Slot Front CH02 with Coaxial Cable Length 220mm

This is not fuzzy search/autocompletion at all.
Fuzzy search is a technique to return results containing String variation
from the original query.
In particular as variation Solr uses the Levenshtein distance edit measure.
The max edit distance supported is 2, where an edit operationis a
single-character edit (i.e. insertion, deletion or substitution) .

> Based on the user input the  result should change. if user typed *Fenway
> Antenna Dipole *then
>
> Fenway Antenna Dipole Top CH00 with Coaxial Cable Length 140mm
> Fenway Antenna Dipole Side CH01 with Coaxial Cable Length 220mm
>
> like this based on the typed data then the result should change.
>

> Could you please suggest what is the best way to achieve this( may be some
> samples for the same).
> Please let me know if I miss any info you required.

Unfortunately you didn't answer to my questions, let me simplify them :

*Is analysis needed in the suggester ?*

Do you want to provide suggestions according to an analyser processing
the suggestions and user query ?
Example :
user typing receiver
And the system returning the Antenna records ?

*Do you want infix suggestions ?*

user typing "ante" and getting the Antenna records as results.
( looking for suggestions not at the beginning of the field value)

*Do you want fuzzy suggestions ?*
See above about the Levenshtein distance.

*Suggestions of the whole content of a field or only few tokens ?*
Do you want only few tokens or the entire field value ?
This should be already answered, and I guess you want the entire field
value.

Cheers

--

Benedetti Alessandro