lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Vincent Sevel <v.se...@lombardodier.com>
Subject optimization recommandation
Date Fri, 27 May 2016 08:10:47 GMT
Hello,
I am using indexes that can be as large as 25 Gb.
Indexes are created for a specific time window (for instance it can be weekly based).
Once the week is passed they are not written to anymore.
I have seen the IndexWriter.forceMerge(int) operation, and I had several questions:

-       After a forceMerge, what gains should we expect? Less space on disk, or faster searches?

-       How many maxNumSegments should I target? 1, 5, 10, ...? What are the criterias to
decide?
Thanks,
vince

This message is intended only for use by the person to
whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is
privileged and confidential. Its content does not constitute
a formal commitment by Bank Lombard Odier & Co Ltd or any
of its branches or affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient
of this message, kindly notify the sender immediately and
destroy this message. Thank You.