lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: BooleanQuery rewrite optimization
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2016 21:40:16 GMT

Off the top of my head, i think any optimiation like that would also need
to account for minNrShouldMatch, wouldn't it?

if your query is "(X Y Z #X)" w/minshouldmatch=2, and you rewrite that
query to "(+X Y Z)" w/minshouldmatch=2 you now have a semantically diff
query that won't match as many documents as the original.

in that example, you could decrement minshouldmatch (=1) ... but i'm not
sure off that holds as a general rule for all possible permutations/values
... i'd have to think about it.

An interesting edge case to think about is "(X X Y #X)" w/minshouldmatch=2
... pretty sure that would give you very diff scores if you rewrote it to
"(+X X Y)" (or "(+X Y)") w/minshouldmatch=1

: Hello all, I noticed while debugging a query that BooleanQuery will
: rewrite itself to remove FILTER clauses that are also MUST as an
: optimization/simplification, which makes total sense. So (+f:x #f:x)
: will become (+f:x). However, shouldn't there also be another
: optimization to remove FILTER clauses that are also SHOULD, while
: converting them to MUST? So, for eg. query (f:x #f:x) will become
: (+f:x). I did an initial simple implementation and the tests seem to
: pass. Are there any cases where this does not hold?
:
:

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/