lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jan-Willem van den Broek <Jan-Willem.van.den.Br...@Valuecare.nl>
Subject RE: Strange index corruption related to numeric fields when upgrading from 6.0.1
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2016 08:41:31 GMT
Hi Erick,

Isn't that a SOLR restriction? I can't find anything about it in the Lucene docs.

If it applies to Lucene as well, then we have some work to do, since the brackets are indeed
part of the field name. (Also a space in front.) We use things like that a lot to avoid collisions
in generated and user-supplied names.

I don't think it's the key to this issue though. The change I made that fixed my test case
still uses brackets and spaces. The Point and StoredField still use the name " [1]calculon",
but the DoubleDocValuesField is renamed to " [p]calculon".

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'd never even considered that we might be using illegal
fieldnames.

Regards,
Jan-Willem

-----Original Message-----
From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 19:02
To: java-user <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Strange index corruption related to numeric fields when upgrading from 6.0.1

A wild shot in the dark: Are the square brackets really part of the field name? They have
never officially been supported, from the Ref
Guide:

"Field names should consist of alphanumeric or underscore characters only and not start with
a digit. This is not currently strictly enforced, but other field names will not have first
class support from all components and back compatibility is not guaranteed"

Your statement "I cannot reproduce the issue if I give the DoubleDocValuesField a different
name" seems to indicate that it's not a code problem with Lucene if you don't put the brackets
in.....

Best,
Erick

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Jan-Willem van den Broek <Jan-Willem.van.den.Broek@valuecare.nl>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an application that works fine with 6.0.1, but if I go to 6.1.0 or 6.2.0 then
I occasionally get a corrupted index where the SegmentMerger keeps breaking on a numeric field.

> This is the exception I get:
>
> ... (stack of application code) ...
> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: field=" [1]calculon" did not index point
values
>         at org.apache.lucene.codecs.lucene60.Lucene60PointsReader.getBKDReader(Lucene60PointsReader.java:126)
>         at org.apache.lucene.codecs.lucene60.Lucene60PointsReader.size(Lucene60PointsReader.java:224)
>         at org.apache.lucene.codecs.lucene60.Lucene60PointsWriter.merge(Lucene60PointsWriter.java:169)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergePoints(SegmentMerger.java:173)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.merge(SegmentMerger.java:122)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeMiddle(IndexWriter.java:4312)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:3889)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:588)
>         at
> org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(Concu
> rrentMergeScheduler.java:626)
>
> The field " [1]calculon" is always either a LongPoint or DoublePoint with 1 dimension.
The documents containing this field always also contain both a StoredField, and a DoubleDocValuesField
with the same name.

> I cannot reproduce the issue if I give the DoubleDocValuesField a different name. Is
that something that I should be doing in general? I was under the impression that it is OK
to use the same name for all three related fields.

> Here is the infostream from a test that reproduces the issue:
> http://wikisend.com/download/613238/merges.log
>
> Unfortunately, while I can reproduce the issue consistently in the full application,
I don't yet have a clean test case with just/mostly Lucene code.