lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Lucene parsing overhead VS directly creating queries?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2016 14:52:16 GMT
Hi,

The overhead is neglectible in most cases. The real reason why you want to create queries
on your own is that you have all control:

- if you have (unanalyzed) StringField and want to query them, it is better to build queries
by hand. This is mostly the case for special data types or facet filters applied
- if you want to use queries not supported by query parser
- if you already complex construct queries via code, then *always* do it by code. Only parts
that were entered by users and should be parsed/analyzed should be processed by a query parser.
The final query (e.g user input, filters for facets, data range,...) should be constructed
in API. If you don't do this you will end up in query escaping hell...!!!

If you just want to convert a string to a query including text analysis, but no query syntax
(similar to Elasticsearch's match query), use Lucene's QueryBuilder class.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen