lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Siraj Haider <si...@jobdiva.com>
Subject RE: IndexWriter and IndexReader in a shared environment
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2016 18:05:50 GMT
Hi Mike,
You said "periodically calling IW.commit when you need durability". Does it mean that if the
program dies without calling the IW.commit() all the index changes would be lost that were
not commited?

------
Regards
-Siraj Haider
(212) 306-0154

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael McCandless [mailto:lucene@mikemccandless.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2016 8:52 AM
To: Lucene Users <java-user@lucene.apache.org>; myshareit@gmail.com
Subject: Re: IndexWriter and IndexReader in a shared environment

The API is pretty simple.

Create IndexWriter and leave it open forever, using it to index/delete documents, and periodically
calling IW.commit when you need durability.

Create a SearcherManager, passing it the IndexWriter, and use it per-search to acquire/release
the searcher.  Periodically (ideally from a separate
thread) call SM.maybeRefresh so the searcher sees the latest indexing changes.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Desteny Child <myshareit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my Spring Boot application I have implemented 2 API endpoints - one
> for Lucene(I use 5.2.1) document indexing and another one for searching.
>
> Right now I open every time on each request IndexWriter and IndexReader.
> With a big index it works pretty slow.
>
> I know that there is a possibility to use single IndexWriter  and
> IndexReader in a shared environment. There is SearcherManager or
> something like this for this purpose.
>
> I can't find a good example for this for Lucene 5. Could you please
> share with me this example ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alex

This electronic mail message and any attachments may contain information which is privileged,
sensitive and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. The information is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named as the addressee above. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution
(electronic or otherwise) or forwarding of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the
contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please notify us by telephone, facsimile, or e-mail as noted above
to arrange for the return of any electronic mail or attachments. Thank You.