lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Courtade <courtadej...@gmail.com>
Subject G1 warming on lucene wiki
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2018 12:24:59 GMT
Hello,

I have been looking into tuning the garbage collector for solr. I found
this entry on the lucene wiki that seems to be out of date.

The bug referenced is reported as resolved now. Could someone validate
whether it is safe to use G1 garbage collection with lucene?

"Do not, under any circumstances, run Lucene with the G1 garbage collector.
Lucene's test suite fails with the G1 garbage collector on a regular basis,
including bugs that cause index corruption. There is no person on this
planet that seems to understand such bugs (see
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8038348, open for over a year), so
don't count on the situation changing soon. This information is not out of
date, and don't think that the next oracle java release will fix the
situation."

https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/JavaBugs