lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jerven Bolleman <jerven.bolle...@sib.swiss>
Subject Static index, fastest way to do forceMerge
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2018 10:12:52 GMT
Dear Lucene Devs and Users,

First of all thank you for this wonderful library and API.

forceMerges are normally not recommended but we fall into one of the few
usecases where it makes sense.

In our use case we have a large index (3 actually) and we don't update
them ever after indexing. i.e. we index all the documents and then never
ever add another document to the index, nor are any deleted.

It has proven beneficial for search performance to always foreMerge down
to one segment. However, this takes significant time. Are there any
suggestions on what kind of merge scheduler/policy settings will utilize
the most of the available IO, CPU and RAM capacity? Currently we end up
being single thread bound, leaving lots of potential cpu and bandwidth
not used during the merge.

e.g. we are looking for a MergeEvertyThing use all hardware policy and
scheduler.

We are currently on lucene 7.4 but nothing is stopping us from upgrading.

Regards,
Jerven