lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Venkat Kranthi Chalasani <kranthi.chalas...@icloud.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Fetching 1000 documents taking around 30ms
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2019 18:41:26 GMT
Thank you for the explanation. After storing the numeric field I need as a docValue, the fetch
time came down to 2ms.

thanks
-kranthi

> On Mar 2, 2019, at 9:54 AM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> “Is this expected”
>
> Yes. For each document, if there is any field with stored=true that does _not_ have docValues=true
or is flagged as useDocValuesAsStored=false, there is
> 1> a disk seek to read the stored data from the fdt file
> 2> decompression of the data read in <1>, 16K block minimum.
>
> So getting this all in 30 ms for 1,000 docs isn’t bad at all.
>
> If (and only if) _all_ the values you ask for are docValues=true and useDocValuesAsStored=true
then all the values will be returned from the in-memory docValues data.

> Best,
> Erick
>

>> On Mar 2, 2019, at 1:12 AM, Venkat Kranthi Chalasani <kranthi.chalasani@icloud.com.INVALID>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an index of ~4M documents. My queries are running in 1-2ms but fetching the
top hits (~1000 documents) takes around 30ms. Is this expected?

>> If it is, I was wondering if maintaining an application cache with docId as a key
is ok. I understand docIds are ephemeral as documents are added/deleted but in our usage of
lucene, we don’t add/delete documents.