lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IntField to IntPoint
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2019 15:40:53 GMT
You cannot upgrade more than one major version, you must re-index from scratch. There’s a
long discussion of why, but basically it’s summed up by this quote from Robert Muir:

“I think the key issue here is Lucene is an index not a database. Because it is a lossy
index and does not retain all of the user's data, its not possible to safely migrate some
things automagically. In the norms case IndexWriter needs to re-analyze the text ("re-index")
and compute stats to get back the value, so it can be re-encoded. The function is y = f(x)
and if x is not available its not possible, so lucene can't do it.”

This has always been true, before 8x it would just  fail silently as  you have found. Solr/Lucene
starts up but don’t  work quite as expected. As of Lucene 8x, Lucene (and therefore Solr)
will not even open an index that has  _ever_ been touched by Lucene 6x, no matter what intervening
steps have been taken. Or in general,  Lucene/Solr X will  not  open indexes touched by X-2,
starting with 8x rather than behave unexpectedly.

Best,
Erick