lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Atri Sharma <a...@apache.org>
Subject Sampled Queries -- Use Cases and Feedback
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2019 12:15:45 GMT
Hi All,

While working on a new Query type, I was inclined to think of a couple
of use cases where the documents being scored need not be all of the
data set, but a sample of them. This can be useful for very large
datasets, where a query is only interested in getting the "feel" of
the data, and other queries where the data is being aggregated over
time, so a wide enough sample of the data is good enough for the user
at the tradeoff of improved performance. Faceting already has sampling
mechanisms, so there are ideas to be borrowed from that part.

I have some ideas on introducing a new query type and associated
semantics to allow this functionality to be present from ground up.
Specifically, a query type which wraps another query and "feeds"
offsets to the inner query, along with a limit of collection of hits.
I can go in more detail, but wanted to get some thoughts and feedback
before delving deeper.

Atri