lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IntField to IntPoint
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2019 15:56:36 GMT

> On Jun 5, 2019, at 2:07 PM, Riccardo Tasso <riccardo.tasso@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Considering that the IndexUpgrader will efficiently do the most of the work
> I should investigate how to fill this gap, without reindexing from scratch.

This is actually a problem. IndexUpgraderTool creates a single massive segment, essentially
an optimize. Here are the reasons that’s bad:

https://lucidworks.com/2017/10/13/segment-merging-deleted-documents-optimize-may-bad/

IndexUpgraderTool does _not_ respect the max segment size even now, so the linked article
in the one above  about how optimize may not be so bad in Solr 7.5+ is irrelevant.

Textual data is most sensitive to the changes in how Lucene works, other than deprecated types.
I strongly recommend you bite the bullet and re-index from your  system of record.

Best,
Erick