lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Wu,Yunfeng" <wuyunfen...@baidu.com>
Subject Impact and WAND
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2019 06:41:23 GMT
Hi,

 We discuss some topic from https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/595. As Atri Sharma
propose discuss with the java dev list.

 Impact `frequency ` and `norm ` just to accelerate the `score process`  which  `terminate
early`.

In impact mode, `CompetitiveImpactAccumulator` will record (freq, norm) pair , would stored
at index level. Also I noted `CompetitiveImpactAccumulator` commented with `This class accumulates
the (freq, norm) pairs that may produce competitive scores`,  maybe related to `WAND`?

The norm value which produced or consumed by `Lucene80NormsFormat`.

In this ` Impact way`, we can avoid read norms from `Lucene80NormsProducer` that may generate
the extra IO?  ( the norm value Lucene stored twice.)and take full advantage of the WAND
method?