lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Corey Tisdale <co...@shopperschoice.com>
Subject Re: metadata about result sets?
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:53:09 GMT
Yeah, that is exactly what I mean. There should possibly be one more
layer on top of that though, right? Lets say someone says 'Oh yeah, I
mean thriller' then you want to show author. You don't want to list
5000 author names right off the bat -- you want to let them pick a
letter like 'author last name starts with a', then display author
names under that, so there is a sort of rule based precedent on when
to return which value list. The flip side is, if there are only 5
authors under thriller category, maybe we should skip the pick a
letter step and just show the author names. What if the todo went
something like

Simple faceted browsing (grouping) support in the standard query handler

	get resultset and possible refine fields
	limit refine fields to those appropriate based on result set and
precedence of fields
	group by field (provide counts for each distinct value in that field)
	group by (query1, query2, query3, query4, query5)

Does that make sense? I can be really bad at explaining sometimes.

Corey

PS - This is gonna rock once it starts maturing.