lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: custom query response writer
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:49:57 GMT

On Jun 15, 2006, at 3:37 AM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : are linked to the one being written, think relationships here).  I'm
> : having difficulty customizing the output because XMLWriter's
> : constructor is package protected.  Is there a performance or API
> : reason we need this class to be uninstantiable from other packages?
> : Having it still final is ok, I believe, but making the constructor
> : public would help me write a custom query response writer.
> :
> : Objections?
>
> No objections from me ... i *think* the reason it's pacakge
> protected at
> the moment is because the only expected use for it was to create a
> seperate instance during each invocation of the static method
> XMLWriter.writeResponse.

Which was prior to the enhancement to allow custom
QueryResponseWriters :)

I'm fleshing out my work with my local Solr version changed to have
it public and it is working fine for my needs.  However I did copy/
paste XMLResponseWriter to make my own (in a different package).
Having a way to hook into the response writing by leveraging the ever
improving Solr codebase and its utilities rather than copy/pasting
would be a nice way to aim, I think.

>   (But only Yonik knows for sure what he
> anticipated).  If it stays final, i don't see any downside to
> making the
> constructor public so other classes can reuse the write*
> methods ... it's
> making it subclassable that would worry me a little (there may be side
> affects in some of those methods that are neccessary but non-obvious)

Yeah, agreed with the subclassing comments on XMLWriter.

	Erik