lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: SolPHP
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:38:56 GMT

On Jun 2, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Michael J. Giarlo wrote:
> Yonik Seeley wrote:
>> Thats pretty good considering we've only been in the incubator a few
>> months, and we've only been "advertizing" in the Lucene mailing list!
>
> I bet the NINES project and Bess Sadler's blog post about it
> increased your visibility in the library world tenfold.
>
> That's how I heard about it, at least.  I'm looking for ways to
> replace our current library website (and EAD) search, preferably
> something Lucene-based.  Currently looking at nutch and solr, and
> trying to figure out which is more relevant to what we're doing.

Ah cool!   The blog post is here <http://www.ibiblio.org/bess/?p=21>
- I did a demo of our (currently not in production) Solr-based
faceted browser to the UVa library folks last week and they were very
impressed.  I'm working (as a one-man development "team") as fast as
I can to get this thing up in the next couple of weeks as the
del.icio.us(err, simpy!)+flickr+google of 19th century literature,
and hopefully beyond.  I'll definitely be announcing it to the list
when it's available for general consumption.

Oddly enough I work _in_ (but not _for_) a library that is a noted
leader in the digital library space, but most systems are using xpat
or other archaic search solutions or view search as a pluggable
service rather than an integral aspect.  It's pretty sad how
inaccessible the wonderfully rich world of library archives currently
are.

	Erik